Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas Design Contest
This is a unique design opportunity to create a 10’ diameter marble floor medallion/mural for the lobby of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas. This floor sees over 20,000 visitors per day in one of the most famous hotels in the world. The winning design will be chosen by a panel of judges and celebrated at a special rewards ceremony and industry networking event inside a premier nightclub in the Bellagio. Bostik, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of adhesives for building construction is the sponsor of this competition. Bostik is partnering with MGM Resorts International (the owner of the Bellagio), Creative Edge Master Shop (the waterjet firm producing the winning design) and the NTCA (National Tile Contractors Assoc.)
This is a Request for Proposals. Artists should submit a design (or multiple designs) for a medallion/mural in a circular space, 10 feet in diameter. The winning design must fit into a 10’ diameter, marble, floor medallion/mural for the lobby of the Bellagio Hotel in Vegas.” pre-cut, 10’ diameter area which resides amidst a field of marble tile now. The material to be used will be marble. It will be cut using the waterjet process of Creative Edge Master Shop. The design must work within the space of the Bellagio lobby, an old world, classic Italian architecture and design.
Media: Marble will be used and will be waterjet cut. The color pallet will be provided soon after determination by MGM design staff.
Waterjet is incredibly versatile and can be used to cut almost any shape or design you can imagine. This is managed by tracing your design in CAD and converting it to vector line work that the machine can be programmed to follow. Then that program is given to the machine to cut any type of material to the tightest tolerances using 50,000 psi of a water/abrasive mixture.
Things to keep in mind while designing:
- Define your lines clearly. Every line is a precise cut – sketchy lines may be difficult to interpret.
- Avoid thin “feathery” design lines. Even though any material can be cut by waterjet – some materials do not hold up to a lot of thin internal cuts.
- Keep in mind that your design will be “broken up” into roughly 3’ x 3’ sections to keep them manageable while installing. We will add “break up lines” where needed.Feel free to explore your creative side with this technology.
If you have any questions about materials, mechanics or design, please call Travis Hunt at Creative Edge Master Shop: 641-233-7171.
How to enter and qualify:
During the contest period, entrants must:
- Go to the contest page:bostik.com/us/ArtOfStone to download project renderings and specifications for stone floor entry to be submitted into the Contest.
- Using supplied project renderings and specifications, design and specify a creative, one-of-a-kind stone mural floor.
- Go to the Contest page: bostik.com/us/ArtOfStone and click-through page link taking the entrant directly to the sign up and submittal page.
- Submit design in a PDF along with a valid email address and all of the required contact information. There is no limit to the number of entries per person, but each design must be submitted separately. By entering this Contest, entrants agree that they shall not be entitled to see any entry scores, and all scores and decisions relating to the Contest shall be determined in the sole and complete discretion of the judges and shall be final. All submissions and entries will not be returned and the winning submission will be come the sole and complete property of sponsors.